The first time I went on a college tour, I asked a few questions, but later on, I realized I didn’t ask all the essentials. Of course, you can contact your admissions counselor afterward but, why not ask while you’re there? Don’t let your parent or guardian ask the questions for you! You’re the one going to the college, not them. Below are some essential questions that I suggest you ask while on your college tour. Whether this is the first or the third, every college is different.
Look, I know the list seems daunting and enormous but, choose the main or important ones! By no means memorize this entire list! Your first tour of a college shouldn’t be the last.
- Do they offer ____ major (and ____ minor)?
- What clubs can you join?
- What are the GPA and SAT/ACT score requirements?
- What else is required when applying?
- Are cars allowed for first-year students?
- What is the yearly tuition?
- What scholarships are available for incoming students?
- Are AP scores accepted in place for perquisites? What score is needed?
- Are DE credits transferable?
- What is the average class size? Student-teacher ratio?
- How is campus security?
- What are the meal plans? Hours?
- What are the housing options? What amenities does each room contain? Laundry system?
- What kind of academic help is available?
- Is there an Honors Program? What are the qualifications?
- What are the study abroad options?
- Do students continue living on campus throughout their undergraduate years?
- What social and freshman events are there?
- How diverse is the student body?
- Are there intramural sports? What are they? How does one become a student athlete?
- Are there opportunities for family events on campus?
If the guide is a student, (which is very common), here are more questions to understand their college decision.
- Why did you choose this college?
- What are you studying and how are your teachers?
- Where are you from?
- Do you live on campus?
- How are the clubs and activities you’re involved in?
- How is the ___ (food, access to academic help, housing, etc.)
2 thoughts on “What to Ask during a College Tour?”
Thank you so much!!
This is such a good post. I will be sharing it with my friends that are going up to college. I’m sure they are going to find it very helpful