In this era and society, when people think of reality shows, their minds wander to Keeping Up with the Kardashians (KUK). In the ’00s, people would’ve said Jersey Shore. Now yes, I have seen a few episodes of KUK, and I did laugh and enjoy their incredulous grandeurs and attitude but, it’s not a favorite of mine.
These shows depict an Americanized viewpoint and culture. I find this true in some cases depending on the show. Series such as American Ninja Warrior may portray the athleticism and desire of America, but it certainly isn’t the overall cultural attitude. Mostly, shows like these are presented for entertainment more than ever.
Of all the hundreds of reality shows out there, these are my favorites in no particular order:
- Cheer Squad – This can be viewed on Netflix. I recently started watching this show. It encompasses the life of a Canadian competitive cheer team, the Great White Sharks, as they get closer to competition and perfecting their routine.
- Sing it On – This can be viewed on Netflix (season one) and YouTube (season two). I love this series, and I am still hoping there is another season coming out. Produced by John Legend, Sing it On follows multiple college acapella groups as they compete in the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella. This show is the real-life Pitch Perfect!
- Dance Moms – This can be viewed on Hulu or the Lifetime app/website. I haven’t watched much of this season as I did previous but, I love the dances and drama encompassed. Similar to my other favorites, the show progressively updates viewers on the happenings of the team.
- Bachelorette – Can be viewed on the Lifetime app/website or Hulu. I thought I might like the Bachelor which is similar but, I wasn’t as intrigued. The first season I saw featured Jojo Fletcher who didn’t choose my first pick but, it’s not like I’m bitter about it. (Ha)
- Voice – View on NBC, YouTube, or Hulu! I love the comedy of the judges as they ‘fight’ for a singer on their team. Also, use the interactive app and create your own team!
- America’s Got Talent – View on NBC. Similar to the voice in a sense that performers must be buzzed in, I love watching this and seeing the talent of others!